|Posted on||:||28 Dec 2012|
|Edited on||:||15 May 2013 (12:44)|
|Sub category||:||Commercial Land|
Petaling Jaya (commonly called "PJ" by locals) is a major Malaysian city originally developed as a satellite township for Kuala Lumpur. It is located in the Petaling district of Selangor with an area of approximately 97.2 square kilometres (37.5 sq mi). Petaling Jaya granted its city status on 20 June 2006.
The city was first developed by the British on former rubber estates in the Petaling District Template:Petaling Jaya-Bright Blossom in Malaya, Hal Buell, The Rotarian Magazine, August 1963 as an answer to the problem of overpopulation in Kuala Lumpur in 1952 and has since witnessed a dramatic growth in terms of population size and geographical importance. The development of Petaling Jaya commenced in 1952 with the construction of 800 houses centred around the area known as “Old Town” today.
Lieutenant-General Sir Gerald Templer (then the British High Commissioner of Malaya and Petaling District council chairman) planned for Petaling Jaya to be a satellite town to prevent people from assisting the communists; the earlier housing areas were fenced off from the surrounding area. The first two main roads built in Petaling Jaya were simply called "Jalan 1" or Road 1 and "Jalan 2" or Road 2. Road 1 was later named Jalan Templer while Road 2 was named Jalan Othman after former Menteri Besar (Chief Minister) of Selangor, Othman Mohamad.
Until the end of 1953, the town was administered by the Kuala Lumpur district officer. The Petaling Jaya Town Authority headed by N.A.J. Kennedy commenced administrating Petaling Jaya in 1954. On 24 August 1959, Encik Abdul Aziz bin Haji Mohd Ali became the first Malayan to head the PJ Authority. Administratively and historically, it was considered part of Kuala Lumpur. However, Petaling Jaya ceased to be part of Kuala Lumpur when the latter became a Federal Territory on 1 February 1972. It then became a township in its own right within the state ofSelangor.
PJ South (also known as PJS), from Section 8 to PJ Old Town, had the first settlements, which were established around 1953. As development progressed, PJ North, on the other side of the Federal Highway was developed.The first shopping complex in Petaling Jaya is — Jaya Shopping Centre (better known as Jaya Supermarket) — which was built in 1974 located in Section 14.
On 1 January 1977, the Petaling Jaya Town Authority was upgraded to become Petaling Jaya Municipal Council or Majlis Perbandaran Petaling Jaya (MPPJ). Petaling Jaya progressed rapidly due to the massive rural-urbanmigration. As more people from rural areas immigrated, Sungai Way and Subang districts along with areas such asSubang Jaya, Seksyen 52 (New Town or colloquially known as State; the name of the first, former cinema in the area) developed in areas under the jurisdiction of the municipality.
In a boundary realignment exercise in early 1997, parts of Petaling Jaya which includes Subang Jaya, USJ, Putra Heights, and Bandar Sunway are placed under the jurisdiction of the newly formed Subang Jaya Municipal Council or MPSJ. Petaling Jaya is the central hub of Klang Valley as it is located in between Kuala Lumpur and West KL which includes Subang Jaya, Puchong, Shah Alam and Klang.